I often wondered what was under this black stuff, which is a piece
of self adhesive sound deadening. I strongly suspected that sound,
solid metal was the last thing to expect.....
Bulkhead De-bodging : 22 Jan 2006
And as the clutch master cylinder resevoir was due to be replaced,
it seemed an ideal time to investigate.... You can see that it's
tied on with a bit of wire, and has been previously sealed with some
filler. They suffer from UV light degredation, and need to be
protected from the light to prevent the plastic from going brittle
So I chipped it away with a cold chisel. I guess that there has
been problems with the clutch master cylinder at some time in the
past, leading to this piece of inspired bodgery.
I think that they "chain-drilled" it and then cut it
out with a cold chisel.
It's a hole that must be filled. I don't have a welder at the
moment, nor do I really want to throw a welder patch on. Now the
hole is cut, it may come in usefull at a later date. The solution? I
have the front end of a GT out the back of the garage. 10 mins work
with an angle grinder, and I liberated the matching piece of
A bit more work with the same grinder and a file, and a nice
repair panel gets made. This will be held down with two self
tappers, and sealed using a suitable sealant.
The underside of the repair panel.
I cleaned up the edges of the hole and sealed them with primer.
The repair panel looks nice in a coat of spray primer.
I was doing some work the other day on the front headlight wiring
harness / loom upgrade. This is the bracket that I made to carry the
relays and the fuses.
Made from a bit of galvanised sheet cut from an old Midi tower
A quick two coats of primer, and it'll be ready to be finish
Out with the old..... There is a fair difference between the new
and the old. The new one has a mounting lug for one thing...... Once
it's fitted, I'll be covering it with a quick release cover of some
kind to prevent it getting irridiated by the sun....